Reflection



Reflection:

Going in search of good wasn’t hard, there are many remarkable pieces in every medium. But finding a collection that I could articulate a certain level of understanding seemed daunting.

The process gave me more of an appreciation when I wander through galleries and think about the steps a curator might have taken to get there.

It was challenging initially to find the right cites and resources. I ended up going to a bookstore to even get started, which I found interesting. The internet was a great tool once I had some direction but before that I found that the art world was a foreign one to me.

I began by finding pieces that stood out to me initially then digging into the artist to find out whether they met any criteria I was looking for. This part was the most fun for me because I would automatically form an impression of the piece and then through research I could sort of test myself to see if what I got out of it was what the artist had intended or not. Much of the time I was off but that’s the beauty of art I suppose, all our own interpretations.

 The theme was harder than I thought it might be. My ideas in my opinion were either too broad, too niche or too clichéd, I went through a few before settling on the use of words. The language drew me in and gave me a hint into the artists world. To me, they brought to mind the pictures on book covers. Giving us hints of the story but requiring a closer look to discover anymore.

I don’t know that I have the eye of a fine art curator but it was fun to dabble.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Grosz- Berlin street scene

Georges Braque- Violin and Pipe/ Le Quotidien

Kurt Schwitters- Opened at customs